Adult volunteers like you (“Bigs”) are paired with children ages 8 to 13 (“Littles”). You can participate individually or as a “Big Couple” (i.e. with a spouse or significant other). Each pair or “match” develops a unique relationship based on their identities, interests, hobbies, and values.
- Be at least 19 years old
- Commit to a minimum of one year
- Meet with your Little 2 to 4 times each month
- Be willing to partner with your Little’s family
- Have a stable home address in our service area
- Have a car (in order to transport your Little)
- Recognize the value of a young person’s perspective by listening and uplifting their voice
- And uphold our strong commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
Learn More about Our Commitment to JEDI
At this time, our immediate volunteer needs are men (particularly BIPOC), women in Brooklyn Center and St. Paul areas, and Spanish speakers. If you fall outside of these demographics and choose to move forward with your application in our community-based program, it could take six or more months before we are able to match you with a waiting Little.
Alternatively, we encourage you to consider volunteering in one of our other three mentoring programs (Free Arts, Grad Coaches, Site-Based Mentoring).