Something Big Started Little.
In our nearly 100 years of operation, almost half a million Twin Cities kids have had their lives changed for their better, forever through Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Twin Cities. That big impact we make today started with a simple little observation and a desire to make a difference.
It was 1904 when a compassionate young New York City court clerk named Ernest Coulter noticed more and more boys coming through his courtroom. He realized that caring adults could help keep these young men out of trouble and set out to find volunteers. And so began the Big Brothers movement.
Around the same time, a group called Ladies of Charity was similarly helping girls who came through the New York Children’s Court. Later, they would be known as the Catholic Big Sisters. Both groups worked independently until they joined forces and became Big Brothers Big Sisters of America in 1977.
Today Big Brothers Big Sisters of America is the most respected mentoring organization in the world, serving kids in all 50 states and 12 countries around the world. Here at home, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Twin Cities is the largest and oldest mentoring agency in the region. We’re proud to be part of something really big.
Helping Kids Big Time.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Twin Cities has a strong foundation that makes it possible for us to get kids on the right path to success.
• Matching Twin Cities kids with mentors since 1920
• Consistently ranked in the Top 10% out of 300+ Big Brothers Big Sisters agencies nationwide
• Staff of 60+ in youth development and other supporting careers
• Serve 2,000+ young people every year
• Connecting Bigs and Littles using the most tested and evaluated mentoring model
• Specialized match team with proven track record of successful matches
• Dedicated match support professionals work with Bigs, Littles and Families to keep matches going strong
• Expert Education & Enrichment staff helps our Littles achieve success after high school and beyond